√ Definition of DBMS, Purpose, Functions, Types, Components, Advantages, Disadvantages and Examples
Definition of DBMS, Purpose, Functions, Types, Components, Advantages, Disadvantages and Examples – In this discussion we will explain about DBMS or Database Management System. An explanation that includes the meaning, purpose of function, types, components, advantages and disadvantages as well as examples of DBMS which will be discussed in full and easy to understand. For more details, please see the review below carefully.
Definition of DBMS, Purpose, Functions, Types, Components, Advantages, Disadvantages and Examples
Discusses DBMS (Database Management System) in great detail.
Definition of DBMS According to Experts
Definition of DBMS according to C.J. Date is software that handles all access to the database to serve user needs.
Definition of DBMS according to S. Attre is the software, hardware, firmware and procedures that manage databases. Firmware is software that has become a module embedded in hardware (ROM)
Gordon C. Everest
Definition of DBMS according to Gordon C. Everest is an effective management for organizing data resources.
So the database management system is an organizing system and database processing system on a computer.
Purpose of DBMS (Database Management System)
The objectives of the DBMS are as follows:
- Can be worn or used together
- Speed and convenience when accessing data
- Save data storage space
- For data security
- Eliminate data duplication and inconsistencies
- Handle large or large amounts of data
DBMS (Database Management System) Functions
The functions of the DBMS are:
- Defining the data and its relationships
- Changing data or manipulating data
- Data security and interrogation
- Data recovery/repair and curation
- Data dictionary
- For work performance
Types or Types of DBMS (Database Management System)
The following are the types or types of DBMS:
MySQL is a multi-threaded, multi-user SQL database management system or DNMS software, with around 6 million installations worldwide. MySQL AB makes MySQL available as free software under the GNU Generation Public License (GPL), but also sells under a commercial license for cases where its use does not match the usage GPL. MySQL is owned and sponsored by a Swedish commercial company, MySQL AB. MySQL AB holds full copyright to almost all of its source code.
ORACLE was founded in 1977. The company was founded by Bob Miner, Ed Oates, and Larry Ellison, who has served as CEO (Chief Executive Officer) to date. This company focuses on making database servers on mainframes.
ORACLE is a relational database management system (RDBMS) for managing information in an open, comprehensive and integrated manner. Oracle server provides an efficient and effective solution due to its capabilities in the following areas:
- Able to work in client/server environment (distributed processing)
- Handle space management and large databases
- Supports simultaneous data access
- High transaction processing performance
- Guarantee controlled availability
- Replicated environment
Firebirdh is a relational database management system that offers features found in the ANSI SQL-99 and SQL-2003 standards. This RDBMS can run on Linux, Windows or several Unix platforms. Firebird is directed and maintained by the FirebirdSQL Foundation.
Microsoft SQL Server 2000
Microsoft SQL Server 2000 is a relational database management system (RDBMS) software created to carry out large manipulation processes with various facilities. Microsoft SQL Server 2000 is Microsoft's flagship product for database servers. Because of its ability to manage data and its ease of operation, this RDBMS is the choice of database administrators.
Visual Foxpro 6.0
Visual FoxPro 6.0 is capable of interacting with desktop and client/server products being a member of it. The main goal of Visual FoxPro is to provide programming and database tools to develop software that meets the demands of the times.
Paradox Desktop Database
Paradox Desktop Database is an Add Ins program, which is a separate program included in Borland Delphi. In the desktop database, there are several integrated DBMSs, including Paradox 7, Paradox 4, Visual dBase, Foxpro, Ms. SQL, Oracle, Ms. Access, db2 and interbase.
DBMS (Database Management System) Components
DBMS usually has a functional component "Module" including the following:
- FileManager is managing the space on a disk and the data structures used to represent the information stored on a disk.
- Database Manager is to provide an interface between low-level data contained in the database with application programs and queries given to a system.
- Query Processor is translating commands in the query language into low-level instructions that the database manager can understand.
- DML Precompiler is to convert DML statements or commands added in an application program to normal procedure performers in the host language.
- DDL Compiler is converting various DDL statements into a set of tables containing meta data.
Advantages of DBMS (Database Management System)
According to Connolly and Begg (2010: 77), the advantages of DBMS are:
- Control data repetition
- Consistent data
- Can get more information and the same amount of data
- Sharing data
- Improve data integrity
- Increase security
- Standardization setting
- Comparison of economies of scale
- Balancing conflicting needs
- Improve access and responsiveness of data
- Increase productivity
- Improve data maintenance through independent data
- Increase concurrency
- Improve backup and recovery services
Disadvantages of DBMS (Database Management System)
According to Connolly and Begg (2010: 80), the advantages of DBMS are:
- The size is large because of the complexity that occurs
- DBMS costs vary depending on the environment and functions provided
- Additional costs for hardware
- Conversion fee required for using the new DBMS
- Performance performance decreased
- Greater failure rate
Example of DBMS (Database Management System)
- Hierarch databasey: Data access must follow the hierarchical rules that have been defined beforehand. Example: IMS-2 (Information Management System) by IBM, 1968
- Network Data: Data form a network that is freer than the Hierarchy model. Example: IDMS (Integrated Database Management System) by Culinet Software, 1972
- Relational Data: Data are grouped independently according to type through the process of normalization. Example: INGRE by UN of CA & Relational Tech. 1973, System-R by IBM Research, 1975, ORACLE by Relational Software Inc, 1979, DBASE II by Ashton-Tate, 1981.
Thus has been explained about Definition of DBMS, Purpose, Functions, Types, Components, Advantages, Disadvantages and Examples hopefully can add to your insight and knowledge. Thank you for visiting
List of contents
- √ 25 Understanding of Human Resource Management According to… 25 Definition of Human Resource Management According to Experts - In this discussion we will explain about Human Resource Management (HRM). This discussion is a definition based on experts who…
- Friendship Short Stories: Definition, Writing Tips and Examples Friendship Short Stories: Definition, Writing Tips and Examples - What are Friendship Short Stories like? On this occasion, Seputarknowledge.co.id will discuss whether it is the Short Story of Friendship and other things about it. Let's see together…
- Types of Color Types: Definition, Characters and Explanations Types of Color Types: Definition, Characters and Explanations - What are the types of colors and their explanations? On this occasion, Seputarknowledge.co.id will discuss it and of course the things that also cover it.…
- Proxies are: Definition, Functions, How it Works & Benefits Proxies are: Definition, Functions, How they Work & Benefits - In this discussion, we will explain about Proxies. The explanation that we will describe includes the meaning, function, way of working, benefits,…
- 74 Definition of Education According to Experts 74 Definition of Education According to Experts – Humans have been educated since they were born into the world until they enter school. The word education is no longer foreign to our ears, because all...
- √ 40 Definitions of International Relations According to Experts… 40 Understanding of International Relations According to Experts (Complete) - On this occasion we will discuss material about international relations. International Relations is a relationship between nations or a human-human interaction…
- √ 29 Understanding of Knowledge Management According to Experts… 29 Definition of Knowledge Management According to Experts (Complete) - In this discussion we will explain about knowledge management or knowledge management. Explanations based on expert opinion in full...
- √ 41 Definitions of Poetry According to Experts (Full Discussion) 41 Understanding of Poetry According to Experts (Full Discussion) - Poetry is a beautiful literature. For someone who likes poetry, poetry can provide comfort for him. Poetry can also be used...
- Definition of Learning Methods: Characteristics, Purpose, Types and… Definition of Learning Methods: Characteristics, Purpose, Types and Discussion - What is meant by Method Learning?, On this occasion, Seputarknowledge.co.id will discuss it and of course about other things Also…
- √ Definition of Information Technology According to Experts, Objectives,… Definition of Information Technology According to Experts, Purpose, Functions, Benefits, Components & Examples - On In this discussion, we will explain about information technology put forward by experts and also objective,…
- 41 Definition of Corruption According to Experts 41 Definition of Corruption According to Experts – On this occasion we will discuss Corruption. The discussion includes the definition of corruption according to experts, forms of corruption, factors that become...
- Geographic Information System: Definition, Benefits, and Space… Geographic Information Systems: Definition, Benefits, and Scope - In this discussion, we will explain about GIS or geographic information systems. Which includes the meaning of GIS, benefits, components, space…
- √ Definition of Islamic Banks, History, Functions, Purpose, Characteristics,… Definition of Islamic Banks, History, Functions, Purpose, Characteristics, Types and Products - In this discussion we will explain about Islamic Banks. Which includes the meaning, history, function, characteristics, types and products of…
- √ 28 Definitions of News According to Experts (Discussion of… 28 Definition of News According to Experts (Full Discussion) - In this discussion, we will explain news. The discussion referred to here is the meaning of news according to experts who have summarized ...
- Star Topology: Definition, Functions, Features, Characteristics,… Star Topology: Definition, Functions, Features, Characteristics, How it Works, Strengths, Weaknesses and Implementation - In this explanation we will discuss about star topology. Which includes the notion of star topology, functions, characteristics,…
- √ Definition of Social Media, Characteristics, Functions, Types &… Definition of Social Media, Characteristics, Functions, Types & Impact - In this discussion we will explain about social media. Which includes the definition, characteristics, functions, types and impacts of social media by…
- Standby Scout Material: Ranks, Honor Codes and Requirements… Standby Scout Materials: Ranks, Honor Codes and General Proficiency Requirements - What are the materials for alert level scouts? On this occasion, Seputarknowledge.co.id will discuss it, including the level of alert scouts,…
- Educational Administration: Definition, Purpose, Functions,… Educational Administration: Definition, Purpose, Functions, Principles, Duties and Scope - How is Administration What is Education? On this occasion, Se regarding the knowledge.co.id will discuss what education administration is and its elements other elements...
- Islamic Words of Wisdom Islamic Words of Wisdom - On this occasion, SeputihKnowledge.co.id will discuss Islamic Words of Wisdom and examples. Let's look at the discussion together in the article below to get more...
- √ 16 Definitions of Public Relations (Public Relations) According to Para… 16 Definition of Public Relations (Public Relations) According to Experts - In this discussion, we will explain the meaning of public relations which is summarized from several reliable sources. For more details please…
- The Political Life of the Majapahit Empire: Early History and… The Political Life of the Majapahit Kingdom: Early History and Legacy - How was the Political Life of the Kingdom Majapahit? On this occasion, Seputarknowledge.co.id will discuss the Majapahit Kingdom and other things covered it. Let's look at the discussion together...
- √ Definition of Experiential Marketing, Functions, Benefits,… Definition of Experiential Marketing, Functions, Benefits, Strategies, Characteristics and Implementation - In this discussion we will explain about experiential marketing. Which includes the notion of experiential marketing put forward by experts,...
- Example of historical story text in Indonesia Examples of historical story texts in Indonesia – What are examples of historical stories like? This time around the knowledge.co.id will discuss examples of historical stories and their structure. Let's take a look at the discussion in the article on…
- √ 23 Definitions of Organizational Commitment According to Experts… 23 Definition of Organizational Commitment According to Experts (Complete) - In this discussion we will explain about organizational commitment. Which explanation here is based on the opinion of experts with each…
- √ Definition of Performance Management, Objectives, Benefits, Principles &… Definition of Performance Management, Purpose, Benefits, Principles & Process - In this discussion we will explain about Performance Management. Which includes the understanding, objectives, benefits, basic principles and processes of performance management with…
- √ Definition of Typography, Functions, Elements & Their Classification… Definition of Typography, Functions, Elements & Classification (Complete) – On this occasion, About Knowledge will discuss Typography. Which in this discussion explains the meaning of typography, functions, elements and their classification with…
- √ 33 Understanding of Ideology According to Experts (Discussion of… 33 Definition of Ideology According to Experts (Full discussion) - In this discussion we will explain the meaning of ideology according to experts. Ideology was created by Antoine Destutt de Tracy in the twentieth century…
- Short Recount Text Example: Definition, Characteristics, Types and… Short Recount Text Example: Definition, Characteristics, Types and Structure of Recount Text - What is meant with recount text and what kind of example? discuss…
- Physical Fitness: Definition, Components, Concepts, Elements,… Physical Fitness: Definition, Components, Concepts, Elements, Purpose, Benefits and Forms of Exercise - What's in What do you mean by physical fitness? On this occasion, Seputarknowledge.co.id will discuss fitness Physical and…
- √ 17 Definitions of Job Satisfaction According to Experts, Theories,… 17 Definition of Job Satisfaction According to Experts, Theories, Aspects and Factors - In this discussion we will explain the meaning of Job Satisfaction. Which includes the notion of job satisfaction according to some experts...